Using my mobile phone as a Bluetooth modem

Having got the bluetooth adator working on my AAO a few days ago, I thought it time to look at getting the modem in the phone working. So I revisited the site that helped me with the bluetooth installation and continued with that. So first:

$ sudo yum install bluez-gnome gnome-ppp

Assuming everything is set up from before and you’ve connected to your mobile phone you should be able to type

$ sudo hcitool scan

to get the MAC address of your mobile. You’ll need this. Next type

$ sudo sdptool records XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

where XX are the numbers of your MAC address. This will give details of how your AAO needs to talk to the mobile phone. You are looking for the DUN (Dial Up Networking) service.

Service Name: Dial-up Networking

and the associated channel number (in my case)

Channel : 1

Now you need to edit the /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf file to read something like this;

#
# RFCOMM configuration file.
#

rfcomm0 {
# Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;

# Bluetooth address of the device attached to the Acer
device [MAC ADDRESS – eg 00:11:22:33:44:55];

# RFCOMM channel for the connection – use the channel number
# for DUN found with the sdptool records command…
channel [CHANNELNO];

# Description of the connection
comment “My_Bluetooth”;
}

A reboot is required now so type:

$ sudo reboot

Once you’re back up, get your terminal back up and type

$ sudo gnome-ppp

This will bring up the modem connection dialogue.  The settings I used for Orange (Pay As You Go in my case) were;

Username: user
Password: pass
Remember Password = ticked
Phone Number: *99#

SETUP:
Modem:
Device: /dev/rfcomm0
Type: Analog Modem
Speed: 115200
Phone line: Tone
Wait for dialtone: unticked

Init strings: (I don’t seem to have an Init1!?)
Init 2: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init 3: AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”orangeinternet”

I got these details from the Orange support site but another useful site is the GPRS information site.

OPTIONS:
Connections: I have nothing ticked.

Having entered all this, I closed the setup page and hit Connect. In the terminal window behind gnome-ppp I could see the dialog between the Acer and the phone and…

PPP Connected!!!!

NOTE: It sounds simple enough but I had a shed load of times that the Acer and the Sony Ericsson wouldn’t talk to each other through the “rfcomm0”.  In the end, rebooting with the correct settings in the /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf file and then calling sudo gnome-ppp seemed to do the trick.

%d bloggers like this: