My problem with the nm-applet asking for my wireless password, all… the… time… is fixed. Or it appears to have fixed itself. After some hunting around I think that the nm-applet call must be made with ‘–sm-disable’ rather than just ‘nm-applet’.
$ sudo nm-applet –sm-disable &
I also think that running nm-applet from the console was causing some problems because when it is run outside of a console it seems to work fine too (i.e. after I fixed the suspend/resume problem).
I can’t remember which file I found it in (some dbus thing, I think), but there is a file which ALLOWs root to grab passwords from the keyring but DENYs “on console” or similar.